Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Success!

Along with 25 others I successfully reached Gilman's Peak on Friday September 14. 18 of us continued on another hour and a half to Uhuru Peak, the highest peak on Kilimanjaro.  It was the steepest, most challenging climb I have ever done. Four days of  hiking to Kibo Hut, then a climb that lasted from 11:00 pm Thrusday until 11:00 am on Friday.  12 hours on Mt Kilimanjaro climbing from 15,500 feet at Kibo Hut to 19,340 feet at Uhuru Peak and return to Kibo.  After a two hour rest we hiked another 6 miles to Horombo Hut for the night. Today we hiked 8 miles out to Marangu Gate and a bus ride to our hotel in Moshi. Pictures are coming later. It is time for dinner with the team and a night's sleep in a bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment