Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Preparations for Kilimanjaro - Part 2

Physically getting ready for climbing Kilimanjaro has been a challenge.  I try to hike with the Carolina Mountain Club regularly, but summertravel and being in Burlington for a couple weeks has prevented me from those weekly hikes.  My friend and fellow Kili climber Rich and I have tried to fit in a few conditioning hikes, and I have gotten a few climbs in during the past two weeks.  In addition to that, I try to get to the YMCA a few days a week.

Many of the Charlotte area climbers have trained at Crowders Mountain State Park.  Since I have mountains close by, I have trained a little closer to home.  My aim has been to do some steep climbs that match the mileage and elevation gain that I will have on Mt. Kilimanjaro.  That means a gain of 3,000 feet or more over a distance of 5 - 6 miles.  A couple hikes that fit the bill are:


  • Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies: 3,000 feet gain over 6 miles (plus 6 mile return)
  • South Mountains State Park loop: 2,800 feet gain over a total of 12 miles
  • Graybeard Trail in Montreat: 2,400 feet gain over 3.7 miles (plus return)
  • Black Mountain Campground to Mt. Mitchell: 3.600 feet gain over 5.8 miles (plus 5.8 mile return)

The one thing training hikes in Western North Carolina can not do is provide the higher elevations I will be hiking on Kilimanjaro.  The climb is done over 6 days to allow for acclimating to increasing elevation.  Days 1 - 4 cover 5 to 7 miles each day and 1,000 and 3,000 feet gain each day.  Time at each camp allows the body to adapt to the higher elevation.  Day 5 is the summit day with a 7,000 feet gain to the Uhuru Peak at 13,340 followed by a long descent to 12,100 feet.

Here is a graphic of the climb:




Final packing over the next two days.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the graphic. That will make it easier to visualize your progress each day. You are THE MAN!!!

    ReplyDelete