Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ready to Climb

The saga of the lost bag is over.  My bag was delivered to the hotel at 10:30 Sunday night. Having all my own gear will make the climb better. I now have a duffel bag with my overnight gear and warmer clothes packed and my daypack with water, snacks, rain gear, and an extra layer for the day.  Our first day will start with a two hour drive to the trailhead, signing in at the trailhead gate, and hiking five miles.  We start at 6,000 feet and camp at a little over 9,000 feet.  There are 26 hikers, our leader, 4hiking guides, some assistant guides, and a number of porters.  The porters will take off ahead of us to set up camp and we will hike at a slower pace.  "Pole, pole" - pronounced pol-eh  -  meaning slowly, is the operative word for the hike.  Hiking too fast will not get you to the top of the mountain any sooner that day 5 and it helps,conserve strength for days when the altitude gets much higher and the miles are longer.

Imwill be able to give a summary when I come off the mountain, and there wil be tots of pictures  when I return home.  Meanwhile, thanks for your prayers and support. I'll "Shout to the Lord"when I reach the top!



No comments:

Post a Comment