Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Gospel on the Beach

Each year several of the senior adults from our church spend a week at Myrtle Beach.  During the retreat we have a daily Bible study, have time for shopping, walking on the beach, and eating out. There is great fellowship and always a lot of laughter.  My wife and I have been a part of this lively and young at heart group for the last three years.

Last year while walking on the beach I met an older man walking along with a walking stick.  He was approaching other people walking on the beach and offering them a folded piece of paper titled "Father's Love Letter - An Intimate Message from God to You."  He quietly asks if you want it, and then moves on.  I introduced myself to him and learned his name is Randy.  He has been walking along that stretch of beach almost daily sharing God's love with those he meets. I shared his story with our group the next day during our joys and concerns.

I wondered if I would see Randy again this year as I walked the beach.  Sure enough, yesterday I saw him with his broad hat and walking stick faithfully sharing his message with people he met.  I called his name and told him I had met him this time last year.  He said he remembered me, and he was happy to know that I had shared his story with our group.  He gave me a new copy of the Father's Love Letter.  We parted after sharing God's Blessings with one another.

We meet many people as we journey through this life. Some we remember, and some we forget.  Some people build up, and others seem bent on tearing down.  Randy is one of those people who are about building up; quietly sharing the promise of life - and life abundant.  God Speed, Randy and thank you for your ministry on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment