Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year Resolutions

Every year people make resolutions that, if carried through, will improve or enhance their lives.  It is tempting to look back over a year almost completed and see the glass half-full: missed opportunities, regrets, "should haves" and "ought tos" and other times and instances where we have fallen short.  So we look ahead and make a laundry list of resolutions that will address those areas we feel need improvement.

Nothing wrong with making resolutions, however, keeping them is the problem.  In my experience, I find that I make too many resolutions and then have trouble carrying them out.  They are often overly ambitious and difficult to achieve.  Some resolutions are too vague, like "I am going to be a better person."  To me, such a nebulous resolution is easily discarded.

So this year I have decided to make ONE resolution for 2014.  I will keep this resolution before me all year.  It is based on Scripture that you will recognize.


He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.   
Micah 6:8 
As a resolution, this speaks to two areas in life that always need attention - how I act toward others and my relationship with God.  Letting Justice and Mercy guide my relationships with others will mean putting others ahead of me and seeking ways to help others.  It entails patience, kindness, generosity, and gentleness.  Walking humbly with God is a self-discipline that requires faithfulness and self-control.

So there it is, my one resolution for 2014.  It looks like I will be busy!



No comments:

Post a Comment