Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Four Trails and a Short Section of the AT

The picture above is a little dark, but it was 7:00 AM and just getting light at the Jakes Creek Trailhead near the Elkmont campground where I began a 19 mile hike using four different trails plus 2.4 miles on the AT.  The climbing began on a well graded road, but soon gave way to a steeper climb over 3.6 miles of the trail.  We had views of Jakes Creek and only one crossing without a bridge.  Since I am "once bitten twice shy" on rock hopping, I used water shoes and waded across. "Better safe than sorry" for me!
I chose to wade this crossing rather than rock hop.
A short break at the Miry Ridge trail junction and the climb continued up toward the AT.  The 5 miles up to the AT was a combination of short steep ups and more gradual ridge hiking.  As I hiked, I was frequently dodging wet boggy areas of the trail.  I began to wonder if Miry Ridge was so named because you can easily mire up in mud in those wet places.  Sure enough, reading the "Brown Book" - Hiking Trails of the Smokies - confirmed that was the origin of the trail name.
Miry Ridge Trail to the AT
On the Miry Ridge Trail
Along the trail there were views of surrounding mountain ridges including Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the GSMNP.  A little more up and we reached the Appalachian Trail a little before 11:30.  We had climbed 2700 feet over 8.7 miles; a good morning workout! A short trail lunch and conversation with a half dozen students on Spring Break, and we were moving south on the AT to the junction with Greenbrier Ridge Trail.  Along the way we met several hikers heading for Maine. At this point they were under 200 miles from Springer Mountain, GA - the southern terminus of the AT, and over 1,000 miles to go to Mt. Kathadan, the northern terminus.  Many miles to go, but today was a beautiful day under blue skies for a hike of any length.  Good luck to all we met.
8.3 miles to go. At least most of it is downhill.
The 4.2 miles of the Greenbrier Trail began a gentle descent from the AT elevation of around 5,000 feet.  The day was warming, and as we lost elevation the forest floor began to show green poking through last Fall's leaf litter.  A variety of lily and other wildflowers became more and more noticeable, an soon a small white flower carpeted the sides of the trail.  Another sign of descending was the sound of rushing water.  Two water crossings awaited us before we reached Middle Prong.  The first was easy to cross on well-spaced, flat rocks just above water level.  The second was a different story.  Once again, I changed into water shoes and waded across a wide and in some places deep crossing.  
The rocks on the right are saying, "Hop on over!" My better judgment said, "Wade across on the left."
After the crossing.
Only 4.1 miles to go.
The fourth trail of our quartet was the Middle Prong Trail.  All the miles are on a fairly wide roadbed that gently followed the Middle Prong of the Little River.  Rocky in places, it was fairly easy hiking to end the day.  The best part of the trail is the sight and sound of the Middle Prong as it rolls and tumbles down the mountain.  There were numerous cascades and waterfalls along the way.  When I have more time, a hike from Tremont up this trail will afford more time to stay longer at the waterfalls and cascades.  But today, the last few miles were starting to wear on my feet.  I was ready to get out of my boots and give them a rest.  

A few of the many scenes along the Middle Prong.





One of the biggest drops along the Middle Prong.
Fishing is now open on the Middle Prong and we saw several people in the water or walking up the trail looking for the "sweet spot" where the Brook trout were biting.  Several mentioned an abandoned chimney off the trail that seemed to be a marker of a good spot.

When I reached my car my GPS showed a little over 19 miles and over 3500 feet of elevation gain.
All the trail mile were new for me, so my total miles of trails hiked in the Smokies is now over 350.  Only a little over 450 new trail miles to go!  Thanks to everyone who made it an outstanding day to hike in the Smokies.

No comments:

Post a Comment