Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Now I am in my sixth decade - My Sixties. Here I share my travels, observations and musings on life - its purpose and meaning.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 Resolutions

I only made one resolution in 2014, and that was to try to live by Micah 6:8.

He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
    and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness (mercy),
    and to walk humbly with your God?

The three actions in this verse - doing justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly with God – seemed to me to be what I needed to attend to in my life.  They are three qualities that would go a long way to making the world a better place.  Here is what I wrote about this resolution one year ago:

As a resolution, this speaks to two areas in life that always need attention - how I act toward others and my relationship with God.  Letting Justice and Mercy guide my relationships with others will mean putting others ahead of me and seeking ways to help others.  It entails patience, kindness, generosity, and gentleness.  Walking humbly with God is a self-discipline that requires faithfulness and self-control.

Looking back over 2014, I cannot say I lived up to this resolution every day, but keeping it before me through the year did make me more aware of justice, mercy, and humility.  The headlines of 2014 show that our world cries out for justice, for mercy and kindness, and for humility. 

For 2015, I plan on keeping this same verse as my resolution.  These aren’t things that can be achieved and checked off like so many other resolutions, but rather a way of living that is to be continued. 

I do want to add another element to my 2015 resolutions, and that is Hope.  Two verses come to mind:

Psalm 71:14
But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more.

Romans 12:11-12
Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord.
Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.

Biblical hope is not like our personal hopes that are dependent on external forces.  Biblical hope is rooted in God’s promises.   We can live as hopeful people knowing that God’s love for us is steadfast and He will not abandon us.  These verses say two things about hope: that we are to hope continually – never give up on hope – and that we can rejoice in hope through praise and prayer.


Happy New Year to you all!  May 2015 be filled with justice, mercy, humility and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment